[Interview] Please look forward to the 2 episodes of 'Hungry painter' developer

The hungry painter game, which was released in 2017, has been suddenly popular in Korea since its launch. It was because of the great outstanding skills of the famous influencers who played the game at the time, and the game of word of mouth was exposed to YouTube and Twitch for a while.

Five years have passed since then, Paspattu's developer Flame Bate Games is preparing for the sequel to the game. And at the BIC Festival 2022, twin developers from Sweden visited Busan and met Korean gamers.

Matthias Lintblad, CEO and designer of Flame Bate Games, said he still didn't believe that 'Paspattu' was still popular in Korea.

■ I definitely wanted to come to Korea before completing the sequel Q. Please introduce a brief introduction to the Flame Bate Studio.

= We are a small development team that started with five friends who met at university. I'm in charge of design and lighting. Until the decision to create our own studio, we have created various prototypes in the basement of the university, and the prototype of Paspatu was also produced at this time.

Even when developing the first 'Paspatu', all team members were engaged in different jobs and developed the game in part time. At the time, I was a student president, and the artist worked as a ballbo at Volvo. Everyone has developed a different job, and the game has achieved the game, and now they are all making games together as a full-time developer. You can say that you are doing what you have dreamed (laughs).

Q. How did you participate in this BIC 2022?

There are some reasons for applying for this event, but of course the biggest reason is that there were a lot of Korean users who enjoyed the previous Paspatu. I heard that the most famous influencers in Korea have gained a lot of popularity thanks to playing the game. So when I made a sequel, I was thinking that I wanted to go to Korea to meet people and develop a game that I will like again.

Q. If so, I wonder if you have visited Korea before.

= This is the first time, and it's really fun. In particular, this is the first time that someone took my picture. Personally, I was one of the bucket lists, but I am happy to be able to achieve it. I feel good to be really good.

Q. Please briefly explain 'Paspa 2'.

= If the previous Paspartu was a slightly strong simulation game, I wanted to give a more adventure feeling in this work. Like The Lost Artist, I would like to talk about the story of a painter who lost everything and loses out of his love for art through a series of journey. The player will talk with many people as well as various obstacles in the process.

Q. I was curious about the subtitle. Can you explain a little more about what it means?

Paspartu's subtitle is also a bit of an autobiographical character of our studio. The subtitle of the first game is The STARVING Artist, which shows my will to live as an artist, but it was just our appearance at the time of making that game. I had to make a game to survive.

The Lost Artist resembles our appearance after completing the first episode, who had lost and wandered for a while. At that time, we really lost why we made games, why this is important to us, and we had time to reclaim it. This personal experience is contained in the game.

Of course, now we are doing a lot of effort to maintain a healthy development environment, and we have been trial and error, but we can check our affection for the main character of Paspatu. In particular, events (such as BIC Festivals) are very helpful to gain this energy.

Q. What is the part that has changed compared to the previous work?

= The biggest difference is that if you had a limitation in the environment of the studio, you can do art activities while traveling to a small open world space. We are developing to meet people, listen to stories, and draw them to draw a variety of interactions.

In addition, the number of art tools that can be used compared to the previous work has increased, and it is also good to use the money earned through work activities.

Q. Since Paspatu was first released in 2017, it has gained great popularity in Korea. Do you remember how you felt at the time?

= I didn't believe it. In fact, I didn't expect the game we made. I couldn't even imagine that there would be a person who played Paspatu in Korea, the other side of the world. Looking at these examples, the story of a hungry artist was a sympathetic material regardless of people's background.

Watch:

** Q. I wonder if there is a special reason for developing a game based on pure art.

= It's a special opportunity. One day I was sick and just lying in the bed. On TV, I was doing a movie of 80 days of Jackie Chan. In the play, Jackie Chan's name is 'Paspattu', which is the title of the game. (Laughter)

In the movie, there is a scene where Jackie Chan fights in the art gallery. As I lying down and watching the scene, I thought, 'I think it would be nice if I have my art gallery.' But I'm not good at painting, so I decided to make a game that runs a gallery. I started with such a really poor concept, but it was able to be a finished work through a prototype.

Q. I think I received feedback from many fans who played the game. Do you have any memorable episodes?

= I always wanted 'Paspatu' to be a game that helped meditation. You can put down complex thoughts and sit down and enjoy it comfortably. One of the most memorable feedback was the message of a person with autism spectrum disorders, and playing the game we made was a great help to stabilize the mind. I was able to paint and be recognized and relaxed by NPCs in the game. I felt really good when I first heard that.

Another feedback was received by e-mail, and a player's father told me that his son was playing this game and asked what kind of game he asked. Since then, the player's father has continued to play our game. It turned out that the father was a painter who had a brush dozens of times ago, and he started drawing again after regaining his affection for art through Paspatu.

When we gathered in the basement of the university to create a prototype, I didn't even think that the game we developed would affect someone's life. Unimaginable things have become a reality.

Q. I want to hear the impression of participating in this BIC.

= It's my favorite event so far. It seems that I have visited the event that is still focused on the game so far. Of course, it's an important part of the development process, but there are a lot of events that focus on business. BIC feels more likely to feel that vivid games are on display, rather than focusing on the game itself.

That's why the visitors who visit the visits seem to be kind and kind. It was an open and really enjoying the game of others.

Q. I told you so far, so I wonder if there are games that were impressive during the entries.

= There are 160 exhibitions, so I still want to do it (laughs).

Nevertheless, the three games that come to mind are memorable. It was a cute concept that combines cooking and top-down action. Dungeon Inn was also impressed with a pretty cute concept, and the last game is because of my history. It has a game concept that is really easy to learn Moss code, and the impression of a game that resurrects a slightly dying language.

Q. Finally, please give a word to Korean gamers.

= In the first work, I tried a lot to contain what you liked, so I hope you love the second work a lot.

This time, I actually demonstrated, so there are a lot of people who draw well. I hope you can enjoy the fun of playing the game by walking around the studio of the previous work. thank you

Comments

Popular Posts